Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, March 1, 2010

My Ted Wishes…

If I had three wishes to make the world a better place, I would wish for more wishes so I can accomplish them all. Just three will not come close to completing it. But there are three wishes that can make life a little better. First, I see a need for everyone to have access to a computer. Second, I would like to bring more awareness into supporting non-profit youth agencies. Lastly, I would like to generate more youth interest into the outdoors sports and recreations.

Having access to computer technology is very important today. Still, too many families are without them. Now days, everything is online. From recipes to bills to headline news and even classes, one can connect to the world without even leaving the country or the house. Not only is having a computer important, but also the skills that can be learned with it. Typing a letter is now easier and faster than before. Mistakes, typos, and grammatical errors are ok for a computer user. After a document is saved, it can be corrected into the right format and be error free. If you were still using a typewriter, you would have to retype the whole thing. Many good skills will be developed while you are typing. It will help you type faster and more efficiently. Not only is it a good skill, but it may be a plus for the job. Every time someone buys a new computer, their old ones can be donated to be refurbished to give away. Every time a company upgrades, what will they do with their old computers? Donate it to be refurbished. It will save a lot of landfill space and disposal fees.

I have worked at a local non-profit youth agency, the Boys & Girls Clubs, for the past eight years. While there, I noticed that many of the kids that come there do really need the help and hospitality that is offered. Many kids that come there will experience positive life turning moments and times. Many of the adults there act as role models, friends, and or a like an older big brother or sister. I know that being there for the kids is also a positive life changing experience in that it makes me understand and appreciate what life has to offer. Many of them have nothing or no one else to turn to so being that person is most rewarding. I would encourage everyone to come and spend a day at the club. Interact with a child that comes there. The experience will be a positive, moving, and life changing moment.

I am really into the outdoors and what it has to offer. I worship hunting and fishing and enjoy the outdoors like crazy. But as I go on with the activities, I notice that the youth population in participation is declining. I see it true even in my own family. In my deer hunting party, most of the participants are the parents. There are ten of us. Eight of them include my father and uncles. The other two are myself and my younger cousin. Not only do I see it in my family, but I also see publications noticing a decline in the younger participants. Hunting and fishing, a traditional pastime, is declining in many parts of America. For example, today, the average age of a hunter is 42 years old. That age increases every year. Some people even think that the number of hunters will decrease by 50% over the next decade or two. I want to introduce younger generations into the sports. It can be done by offering outdoor sports camps to kids and their parents. There has to be something done to spark the interest again. Doing so will bring back the outdoor pastime lost to the video games and televisions generation. It will also help keeps kids out of trouble and off the streets and television screens. What more than to spend the pastime with the family again?

2 comments:

  1. I like the first paragraph about computer technology. Being in the Computer Support program I agree that this would be great if everyone had access. I also love the outdoors. In our hunting party we have 5 younger people and 6 adults. Hopefully the number of hunters do not decrease that much in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok this is the 4 time of me wrighting this comment so i like the idea the BGC needs more activites. I also think we need more computers for more childrean. They are coming more popular everyday

    ReplyDelete